RECIPE: Declan Carroll's beef short rib with chimichurri, beef sauce and beer-pickled onion
Declan Carroll, the executive chef of Melbourne’s Angus & Bon, shares with foodservice his recipe for beef short rib with chimichurri, beef sauce and beer-pickled onion.
DECLAN CARROLL’S BEEF SHORT RIB WITH CHIMICHURRI, BEEF SAUCE, AND BEER-PICKLED ONION
2 kg beef trim, fat removed and diced
2 l red wine
5 white peppercorns
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/3 bunch of thyme
1 bay leaf
3 celery sticks, peeled and diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
1 onion, peeled and diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
10 l beef stock
- Pour some olive oil in a large pot then heat over high heat. Add the beef trim and allow to caramelize. Pass the beef through a sieve and remove any leftover fat.
- Return the pot to the stove with fresh olive oil and add the chopped vegetables, allow to colour. Next add the beef together with the spices and cook for 5 minutes. Add 500 ml of red wine and reduce to a syrup. Repeat this twice. Then add the rest of the wine and reduce by half. Next add 1/3 of the beef stock and reduce by half, skimming while it simmers. Add 1/3 more of thebeef stock, reduce and skim. Add the final 1/3 of the beef stock, reduce and skim. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve before transferring it to the coolroom. Next day, divide the beef sauce into portions.
440 ml dark beer
250 ml apple cider vinegar
130 g sugar
10 juniper berries
5 black peppercorns
2 sprigs of thyme
Pinch of salt
2 kg baby onions
- In a medium-sized sauce pan add the beer, apple cider vinegar, sugar, juniper berries, black peppercorns, thyme and salt, and bring to the boil.
- Quarter the onions and steam for 2 minutes. Next pour the pickle mixture over the onion shells nd transfer them to the coolroom until needed.
1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
1 bunch of oregano, finely chopped
1 bunch of thyme, finely chopped
1 bunch of sage, finely chopped
200 g garlic, finely chopped
5 g dried chilli, finely chopped
5 g salt
5 g white pepper
250 ml red wine vinegar
400 ml olive oil
- In a large bowl, add the finely chopped parsley, oregano, thyme, sage, garlic and chilli.
- Next add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, and combine well. Set aside.
Beef short rib
2 kg grain-fed beef short ribs
100 g Murray River pink salt
50 g caster sugar
200 ml vegetable oil
- Mix the salt and sugar together, coat the short ribs and leave to cure for 6 hours. Next rinse off the salt mix and pat dry. Vacuum pack the short ribs with the vegetable oil. Cook at 75°C for 14 hours, either in a water bath or combi oven. Transfer to an ice bath and allow the short ribs to cool.