RECIPE: Annabel Crabb's prawn saganaki
Television presenter and media personality, Annabel Crabb, is releasing her second recipe book Special Guest this November. And providing a sneak peak to foodservice, she's shared her recipe for prawn saganaki.
ANNABEL CRABB'S PRAWN SAGANAKI
12 frozen raw prawns, peeled but with tails left on
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 anchovy fillet, roughly chopped
large pinch of chilli flakes
1 x 400 g tin of tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste (concentrated purée)
juice of ½ lemon
75 g feta
basil leaves, to garnish
crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat your grill to medium.
- To speed-defrost your prawns, separate them out, zip them into a snap-lock bag and immerse the bag in a sink full of lukewarm water.
- While that’s happening, place a small, ovenproof frying pan over low–medium heat and add the oil. Sauté the garlic, anchovy and chilli flakes until the anchovy disintegrates. Add the tomatoes, squishing them with your wooden spoon. Add the tomato paste and lemon juice and cook down until the sauce has lost its wateriness. Season with pepper.
- Okay – now it’s time for the big finish. Poke your defrosted prawns into the sauce so they’re mostly submerged. Crumble the feta over the top and drizzle with a little extra olive oil. Place under the grill and cook until everything’s bubbling, the feta has browned and the prawns have gone pink in their tomato bath. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with basil leaves and serve with crusty bread.
Images and recipes from Special Guest by Annabel Crabb and Wendy Sharpe, Murdoch Books, out November, RRP $39.99. Photography: Rob Palmer